From A Song of Ice and Fire : TMG Wiki
- Once the battlefield has been set up, each player should then roll a die (re-roll ties). The player who rolls highest may choose their Deployment Zone or pass this choice to their opponent. The player who does not choose their Deployment Zone will be the First Player when the game begins.
- Beginning with the player who chose their Deployment Zone, each player alternates deploying 1 Combat Unit to the battlefield, continuing until all Combat Units have been deployed.
- Combat Units may be deployed anywhere in a friendly Deployment Zone, so long as their tray remains fully within the boundaries of that zone.
- Attachments must be deployed into the unit to which they are attached.
- Non-Combat Units are not deployed to the battlefield. They should instead be placed near the Tactics Board.